November 4, 2017: Women's Basketball
Baton Rouge opened Day 2 of the Lady Bears Classic with a familiar foe, Region 23 opponent, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. The Lady Bulldogs (1-1) beat the Lady Bears(0-2) 66 to 54. The Lady Bears came out very sluggish on the offensive end of the floor in the first quarter only scoring 8 points, while the Lady Bulldogs stormed out the gates scoring 19 and taking an early 11 point lead. In the second quarter the Lady Bears settled down and played a bit more consistently both offensively and defensively. The halftime score was MGCCC Lady Bulldogs 30 and BRCC Lady Bears 22. It was a back and forth third quarter but the Lady Bears were unable to close the gap. Coach Lee's young squad showed some fight in the second half but they could not overcome the good shooting performance by the Lady Bulldogs. MGCCC shot 43 % from the field and 36 % from the 3 point line compared to BRCC 31 % from the field.
- Kayla Watson was the Lady Bears leading scorer with 16 points, 3 assist, 4 steals and 5 rebounds.
- Celica Sterling finished with 12 points, 5 for 13 from the floor and 2 for 4 from the 3 point line
- Faith Williams scored 7 points and had 9 rebounds.
- Aliyah Cooper added 7 points.
- BRCC coughed up 22 turnovers
- MGCCC out Rebounded the Bears 36 to 33
The opening game of Day 2 of the Lady Bears Basketball Classic featured the Clarendon Bulldogs and the Bossier Parish Community College Cavaliers. It was a real back a forth game with each team taking a lead in the final minutes of the game. Clarendon came out on top with an 84 to 82 victory over the Lady Cavs.
Baton Rouge is back in action next Thursday with a away game at Holmes Community College. Game time is set for 6:00 pm.